Created in 1995, the North Hills Sports Hall of Fame honors individuals who have distinguished themselves in athletics during and/or beyond their years at North Hills High School or the former West View High School. Inductees have brought pride and recognition to the district’s athletic programs and to the community as former players, coaches, administrators and supporters.
This year marks the 23rd year of the Sports Hall of Fame, which is a community program not affiliated with North Hills School District. For more information regarding the Sports Hall of Fame, contact Chelle Zimmerman, activities coordinator, at 412-318-1438 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Hills School District is accepting nominations for its 2019 Sports Hall of Fame. Nominations must be received no later than April 1.
To nominate someone, please click the following link: http://www.nhsd.net/SportsHallofFame.aspx
- Dan Cardone – Administrator – Dan Cardone served North Hills School District as the Director of Athletics and Activities for 21 years and oversaw the district’s greatest improvement and expansion to its sports facilities. He served as President of the Northern Athletic Directors’ Association and the WPIAL Athletic Directors’ Association and was an officer and member of the WPIAL and PIAA Boards of Control. Cardone created the WPIAL Student Athlete Leadership Academy and the WPIAL Sportsmanship Summit. During his tenure, North Hills was a seven-time winner of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association Sportsmanship Award and was named an All-American Sportsmanship School by the Institute of International Sport. In 2005, Cardone was the recipient of the National Interscholastic Athletic Association Award of Merit. He also was inducted in the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame in 2012.
- Josh Eddy – Class of 2005 – Josh Eddy was a cross country and track and field athlete and a key member of teams that won back-to-back WPIAL cross country team championships in 2003 and 2004. He was the WPIAL cross country individual runner-up in 2005 and the WPIAL champion in the 3200 meters. Eddy continued his academic and athletic careers at Duquesne University where he was a four-year letter winner in cross country and track and helped his team win an Atlantic 10 Conference Cross Country Championship. In track and field, Eddy was the Atlantic 10 champion in 2007. He ranks as the No. 4 runner in Duquesne history in both the 5,000 and 10,000 meters. Eddy graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in Criminal Justice and joined the U.S. Army. He is a Green Beret, a Jump Master and Special Forces Master Mountaineer. He has served in three deployments including one in Afghanistan.
- Emily Jamison – Class of 2012 – Emily Jamison was a three-sport athlete at North Hills participating in lacrosse, basketball and soccer. She led her team to back-to-back WPIAL lacrosse championships, and she remains the all-time leading women’s lacrosse scorer in North Hills history. In 2011 and 2012, Jamison was named Academic All-American and First Team All-WPIAL and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette North Extra Female Athlete of the Year in 2012. She went on to play Division I Women’s Lacrosse at Robert Morris University where she was a four-year letter winner and scored 109 career goals. She graduated from Robert Morris University in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Sports Management.
- Paul Kress III – Class of 1992 – Paul Kress III was a four-year letter winner and team captain for the North Hills swim team. He was the WPIAL Champion in the 100 backstroke and undefeated in dual meets his junior year, and his 100 backstroke record still stands at North Hills. An outstanding student, Kress was selected to the Allegheny Mountain All-American Scholastic Team and received an appointment to attend the U.S. Naval Academy. He was a four-year letter winner on the swim team and held the 200 backstroke record at Navy for ten years. Upon graduation, he spent seven years in the U.S. Navy as a surface warfare officer. Kress continued his education after his service ended receiving a master’s degree in Business Administration from Carnegie Mellon University. Kress currently serves as the Vice President of Market Organization for EQT Organization.
- Mick Yokitis – Class of 2001 – Mick Yokitis was a two-sport athlete and three-year starter in both football and basketball at North Hills. An outstanding wide receiver in football, Mick was named to the Quad A North All-Conference team in his junior and senior year. He went on to the Naval Academy Preparatory School and then to the U.S. Naval Academy where became a starting wide receiver for the Midshipmen. Yokitis was a three-year letter winner starting 37 consecutive games. He began his coaching career as head coach at the Naval Academy Preparatory School and is now in his eighth season as wide receivers’ coach at the U.S. Naval Academy. During that time, Navy has posted a record of 50-28, beat Army six times, went to bowl games six times and won the Commander in Chief’s Trophy four times.
North Hills Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2017:
The 2017 inductees include Keith Brown, Class of 1981; Liz Cleary, Class of 2003; Zach Hebda, Class of 2011; Margo Malone, Class of 2012 and Sal Marsico, Coach.
1995 1996 1997 1998
Dr. Leigh Curl Nancy Henry Albright Bruce Abel Pam McGonigle
Mark Kelso Steve Brown Edward Abel T.J. Osman
Mario Martorelli Ed Fullerton Earl Ceh Charles “Whitey” Rebel
Tom Tobin Guy Guadagnino Tom Dornbrook Mike Tongel
Scott Winkler Chip Lang Judi Dum John Weixel
Jill Kern Cheryl Rau Zangaro
1999 2000 2001 2002
Steve Fedell Zena Hermann Courtney Art Hartman* LaVar Arrington
Dr. Robert Potter Richard Dalrymple Melanie Lee Geoff Bender
Robert Reilly Mike Flynn Mary Ann Maloney Jason Bender
Bill Stara Tom Maloney Fred Matheis Susan Lee Latshaw
Maryanne Pacconi Thomas Doug Shore Ray Nunamaker David Mayernik
Eric Renkey Michael Yoest
2003 2004 2005 2006
Chris Cisar Pat Carey Eric DeMario Gerry “Boz” Bosworth*
Eric Kasperowicz Stephani Ehrenfeld Russ Hollyfield* Doug Hetzler
Chris Fertig Lynn Kelso Linda Massucci Scott Merlack
Linda Nauman Mitchell John Robic Seamus Murphy Robert “Bob” Soleau
Gus Nauman Rob Schellhaas Victoria (Vicki) Wilson
2007 2008 2009 2010
Bill Corley Eddie Crankovic* Ken Bollens Sr. Scott Chisholm
Gary Gorajewski Kelly (Keenan) Check Ian Fitzgerald Sarah Emory
Chris Helon Charles “Chum” Kovach Casey Mohn Janet (Schmidt) McDowell
Jenna Hough Joe Smithco Ryan Redman Brian Stumpf
Brian Kagle Mark Taylor Mike White Joe Wadlow
2011 2012 2013 2014
Michael Czerwien* Dave Collins LuLu (Troy) Braun* Percy Barnett
Greg Morris Kevin Donas Jenielle Hunt Mark Farris
David O’Keefe Marc Mitchell Jack McCurry Lisa (Hall) Halstead
Dave Weinerth Robert Weider Andrew Richardson Paul Thomas
Jessica Zapf Sara Zilles Morrow “Woody” Woodburn Thomas Welch
2015 2016 2017 2018
William Knoch Bob Hood Keith Brown Dan Cardone
Vince Sebal Dana (Pecanis) Simile Elizabeth Cleary Josh Eddy
Rhonda (Caye) Vorndran Michael “Mickey” Schramm Zach Hebda Emily Jamison
Tim White John Wilkie Margo Malone Paul Kress III
Rich Esswein John Zanieski Sal Marsico Mick Yokitis